Cambridge, Massachusetts – Harvard’s softball team (6-4) will head to California from Friday, March 10 through Tuesday, March 14 to play six games, including five contests at the Run-Up Invitational hosted by California Baptist University. Go to. The team will face Syracuse in Riverside, CA, California Baptiste, and UC San Diego in the Lance Up Invite, which runs from Friday, March 10 through Sunday, March 12. They will face the University of San Diego in a doubleheader on Tuesday, March 14th.
Harvard kicks off the weekend with games against Syracuse and CBU on Friday at 3:00 and 8:00 p.m., followed by games against UC San Diego and Syracuse on Saturday at 1:00 and 3:30 p.m., and Sunday at 12:30 p.m. We will play the final match against CBU. This afternoon concludes the Lance Up Invite. Tuesday’s doubleheader will be against San Diego at 3pm. His game against the host school’s CBU will be streamed on his ESPN+.
What you need to know
• Harvard kicked off the 2023 campaign with a 6-4 record, hosting two weekends in a row with the Winthrop Garnet and Gold and Gardner-Webb Red and Black tournaments.
• Harvard went 3-2 in the Red and Black tournament. Two of these wins for him were shutouts, 10-0 against the Detroit Mercy and 11-0 against the Sacred Hearts. The Crimson won his second game against Chattanooga 5-2.
• Senior Alison Heffley She was named Ivy League Player of the Week for the second straight week, as she is currently the only player in the Ivy League to earn Player of the Week honors so far this season. 1st year Riley Flynn Named Ivy League Rookie of the Week for the second week in a row, Harvard won 2 of its 3 weekly awards.
• In the red and black softball tournament, she led Crimson offensively with 7 hits, 3 doubles, 3 triples and 4 RBIs. Heffley herself crossed home plate on her 3-run run. In her team’s two shutout wins, she went 2-for-4 with two doubles at the Detroit Mercy and 2-4 with a double and two RBIs at Sacred Hearts.
• Flynn started two of the Crimson’s five weekend games, pitching a total of 15 innings and winning one. Against Chattanooga, Flynn impacted the Crimson circle, pitching two shutout innings without allowing a hit, allowing no bases and two strikeouts. In Sunday’s win against Sacred Heart, she hit her two-hit shutout to put Harvard’s Crimson ahead of Sacred Heart her Pioneers 11-0. Flynn (2-0) gave up two hits, walked four, and struck out nine, making the distance for Harvard.
• In five games last weekend, Harvard scored 31 runs while their opponents allowed just 12.
• Harvard Softball was #1. 2nd in Ivy League preseason voting. Crimson, who won first place his three times, amassed a total of 110 points and finished just behind his Ivy League champions Princeton (13 votes, 125 points).
• The Ivy League runners-up for the 2022 campaign will bring back nearly all of their offensive production and pitching staff. Harvard will return 90.2% of total stolen bases, 86.5% doubles, 85.8% RBI, 84.7% hits, 80.7% RBI, and 75% home runs last season. In the Circle, Crimson returned the top five pitchers of his 22 years based on his ERA, with 274 out of 276 innings he pitched (99.3%), and out of 141 he struck out 140 (99.3%). and 100% win (22 of 22).
• Harvard lost 2-5 to San Diego, but won 4-1 in their final matchup of 2016.
• Crimson beat UC San Diego 2-8 on all timelines, separating games in 2017, the last time the two teams met.
• Harvard are looking for their first win against Syracuse after being tied 0-2 since two weekends in 2013.
• Harvard meets California Baptist University for the first time at the Lance Up Invite.
Harvard will begin Ivy League play, moving to Penn for a doubleheader on Saturday, March 18, and playing a single game on Sunday, March 19.