Flat – Georgia Tech Softball (12-8) upset No. 18 Auburn (20-3) with a walk-off to win 2-1 thanks to freshman catcher Reese HunterThe winning home run at Mewbone Field on Wednesday. In a low-scoring affair, Hunter hit his second home run on 1st down in the bottom of the seventh, leading the Yellow Jackets to their first ranked win of the season.
senior hurler Blake Neleman Her gems included seven punchouts and allowed only one run in 6.2 innings of work, so she threw almost a full game to hold the Tigers out of the circle.fellow senior right hander Chandler Dennis Beating the only batter she faced when it turned out to be Auburn’s last chance at the plate, she was credited with the win to move to 7–3 on the year.
Both teams controlled the game from the circle most of the day, as neither team allowed a run across the plate in the first five innings. Auburn broke the stalemate with a solo home run in the top of the sixth, but Georgia Tech answered in the second half as a sophomore second baseman. Grace Connelly Follow Junior Short Gin SileoA leadoff double and an RBI single tied the score. Going into the locked 1-1 seventh, Nelemann and Dennis slammed the door on the Tigers at the top of the frame before Hunter fired a walk-off rocket to secure a 2-1 for the Jackets, disrupting an 18 win. I was allowed to.th Ranked Tigers.
Georgia Tech vs. No. 18 Auburn
March 8, 2023 (Danny Kurnick)
- The Georgia Tech upset was their first ranked win of the season, currently going head-to-head against the 18th-ranked team in the nation.
- The Yellow Jackets’ win in the ranks was their first since their 9-8 victory over No. 25 Notre Dame on April 1, 2022.
- White and Gold remain undefeated at home against Auburn, currently sitting 5-0 on the flat.
- The junior third baseman led the 5 jackets with hits on this day mallory black She went 2-3 with triples.
- Hunter’s home run was the second of her young college career and the first in a walk-off system.
- Neleman and Dennis have allowed only one run in their last three contests, combined for 24 strikeouts and only 10 hits allowed in the last 21 innings pitched.
Georgia Tech leaves for its first conference series heading to Virginia (17-5) for the weekend series starting at 5 p.m. Friday in Charlottesville, Virginia. The series finale will be broadcast on the ACC network.
Alexander Tharp Foundation
The Alexander-Tharpe Fund is the fundraising arm of Georgia Tech track and field, providing scholarship, operational and facility support to more than 400 Georgia Tech student-athletes. By participating in the development of Georgia Tech’s daily champions and helping Yellow Jackets compete for championships at the highest level of collegiate athletics. Annual Athletic Scholarship FundWe offer scholarships directly to Georgia Tech student-athletes. For more information on Yellow Jackets support, please visit: atfund.org.
Follow us on Instagram for the latest on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket.@GaTech softball), twitter (@GaTech softball), Facebook (georgia tech softball) or visit . www.ramblinwreck.com.