Elon, NC – The Elon University lacrosse team led Virginia Tech 8-7 at halftime, but the Hokies outscored Phoenix 10-3 in the final 30 minutes, trailing 17-11 at Rudfield Wednesday night. Victory. Sophomore Catherine Merritt Scored a hat-trick for the third year in a row and scored 5 goals (3 goals and 2 assists). Anna Hackett He also scored three goals in the defeat.
Virginia Tech improves to 2-4 with the win and Elon falls to 3-4.
how it happened
- Virginia Tech scored the game’s opening goal in just 49 seconds, but Elon dominated the rest of the first quarter. Anna Hackett score twice, Cary Enow There was a goal and an assist as Elon made a 5-1 run with a 5-2 lead after the first period.
- The Hokies rebounded with five consecutive goals in the first 11 minutes of the second quarter to take a 7–5 lead. But Elon fought back late. Ehnow added his second goal of the contest with 2:51 remaining, Catherine Merritt We tied the game at 1:09 to play in the half. Sammy Fisher He then gave the lead to Elon with a goal with 16 seconds remaining.
- Virginia Tech started the third quarter with two goals and led 9-8. After that, the team went scoreless for seven minutes in total. Merritt completed a hat-trick with 5:47 to tie the score at 9–9.
- In the final four minutes of the third quarter, Virginia Tech scored three straight runs to take a 12-9 lead and advance to the fourth quarter.
- Virginia Tech won the fourth quarter 5-2.
Notes and stats
- Catherine Merritt 11 goals and 3 assists in the last 3 games. She had only one goal in her first four games of the season.
- Anna Hackett He scored his fourth hat-trick of the season and his second in a row.
- 2nd grade with 2 goals in the game Sierra Hopson Her career is now 40. Her career goals rank her 10th in Elon history.
- freshman Jesse Penner He had a team and career-high five ground balls. She added her four draws her control (her four for the first in her career) and caused a turnover.
- Virginia Tech outscored Elon 28-26 and 23-20 in shooting on goal.
- Elon’s turnover rate was 14 times, and Virginia Tech’s turnover rate was 16 times.
- Virginia Tech entered the contest with one of the toughest defenses in the country, but Elon’s 11 goals were the second most the Hokies allowed this year.
- Elon will host East Carolina at noon on Sunday and play in the team’s final non-conference tune-up at High Point on Wednesday at 5 p.m.
— Elon —